Skip to main content
Get your Wikispaces Classroom now:
the easiest way to manage your class.
Pages and Files
UC on ChemSpider
Alicia's Masters Thesis
Open Web Drug Dev.
To Do List
Ugi NMR Analysis
by acid catalysis and to accomplish the
and cyclization to a diketopiperazine using the obtained
and 5-methylfurfurylamine, N-(tert)-butoxycarbonyl)-L-methionine, and benzylisocyanide following the protocol described
A solution of
(1.0 g 5.5 mmol) in 85% phosphoric acid (15mL; 0.37M) was heated in a 125 ml erlenmeyer flask (for 3 mins) in a glycerol bath then removed from heat and allowed to cool . The solution was added to distilled water and then saturated with NaCl. It was taken up in ethyl ether, and dried over anhydrous MgSO4.The ether extract was then evaporated to obtain DOPAL in about 20% yield.
In the second step of the reaction, the obtained
was directly used in the Ugi diketopiperazine synthesis without any purification.
was added to equi-molar amounts of
in methanol and stirred at room temperature for 24 hours and then evaporated. A solution of 10% Acetyl chloride in Methanol was added to the product and set aside. It was then rotovaped and set on high vac. The product was taken up in dichloromethane, washed with water, dried over anhydrous MgSO4 and evaporated again.
1. TLC of 3:1 methylene chloride-methanol with and without CAM (Cerium Ammonium Molybdate) stain (
Under UV light
stained1 (before heating)
stined2 (after heating)
H NMR of 23A
in acetone-d6 was obtained on a 500 MHz Varian Inova.
1. A rearrangement of adrenaline to DOPAL possibly proceeds through simple a
(unlike a pinacol type rearrangement suggested by
2. It may be problematic to use the crude DOPAL 23A. Based on the integration of the aldehyde peak relative to the aromatic protons, there is a substantial impurity. This may be the carboxylic acid, which will compete with the BOC-amino acid in the UGI reaction.
H NMR of 23A
shows a substantial loss of the furan system from the product.
Dopal was obtained in 20% yield; however a Ugi product could not be synthesized in the second step. (No furan ring protons, eg. 5.9ppm)
fix time format
1. 08:35 A glycerin bath was heated to 175C.
2. 08:45 Placed 1.00 g on Epinephrine in an Erlenmeyer flask, added 15 mls of 85% Phosphoric acid to it.
3. Immersed the Erlenmeyer flask in the glycerin bath, allowed it to reach 120C (took only about 3mins), solid epinephrine completely dissolved in the acid solution.
4. 08:50 Removed the Erlenmeyer flask from the bath. let it stand for 20 seconds at room temperature.
5. Poured the hot acid solution in 180mls of distilled water (at room temperature), let it stand for 90mins.
6. 10:25 Saturated the solution with Sodium Chloride (table salt without Iodine).
7. 10:30 Extracted successively with 120-,70-, and 50 ml portions of ethyl ether
8. 10:50 The extract was stirred for 10 mins with 20 mls of phosphate buffer solution (pH 7.0), then saturated the solution with sodium chloride (table salt) again.
9. Separated the ether layer, dried it over anhydrous MgSO4, and filtered through a sintered glass funnel, rotovaped and set on high vacuum for 1 1/2 hours.
10. 10:00 Obtained 23A (164.1 mgs 1.08 mmol)) a yield of 19.6%.
11. 11:00 A
of 23Awas obtained in 3:1 methylene chloride and methanol. (posted in results section)
12. Also a
H NMR of 23A
was obtained in acetone-d6.
13. 23A will be directly used in the ugi diketopiperazine synthesis without further purification.
14. 11:38 73 µl (0.6 mmol)of Benzylisocyanide, 67 µl (0.6 mmol) of 5-methyl furfuryl amine and 149.6 mgs (0.6 mmol) of BOC-Met-OH was added to a round bottom flask containing 90 mgs (0.6 mmol) of Dopal in 24mls of methanol. The reaction mixture was pale yellow in color.
15. The reaction will be stirred for 24 hours.
16. 17:35 The reaction changed colors from yellow to greenish,
after 6 hours
after 8 1/2 hours,
after 24 hours
17. 11:38 Stopped stirring, evaporated methanol.
18. 11:45 Made a 10% (50 ml) solution of acetyl chloride(5 ml) in methanol(45 ml).
19. 11:55 Added 50 ml of 10% acetyl chloride / methanol solution to the Ugi reaction flask and started stirring.
20. 12:55 Stopped stirring, rotovaped the solution.
21. 13:30 Added 50 ml of methylene chloride,
3 times with water (50 ml each), accumulated the bottom layers, saturated with anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate (the residue turned pink),
, rotovaped and then set on high vacuum for half an hour, obtained 23B (22.5 mg) of the product.
22. A TLC of 23B was obtained in
3:1 MeCl2/ MeOH and 1:1 MeCl2:Hexanes.
23. A H NMR for 23B was obtained in acetone-d6..(
(300 MHz Varian Inova)
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"